Managed Backup enables you to manage client backup as a service (BaaS). This chapter describes how to access your customers remotely in case of any issues on their side.
Any remote connections are turned off by default. To enable remote connections:
- In the Settings menu, select the General item, then select the Enable Remote Access for all computers check box
Managed Backup allows you to manage the BaaS service for all customers via a centralized web portal. After creating a user account and setting up the customer’s backup configuration, you can generate a special distribution pack of Backup Agent (for details, see the Using the Remote Access Feature paragraph of this chapter).
Backup Agent is a managed point for the web portal. To view a list of all managed computers, open the Management Console toolbar, and in the RMM menu, select Remote Management:
Remote management tools feature a variety of management settings that can be applied with no direct interaction with the user machine. For instance:
- Manage and Monitor Backup Jobs from the web control panel. Continuously monitor backup processes on user machines, including backup plan configuration, data restore, and backup software upgrades. To access this feature, in the RMM menu select Remote Management:
Manage Packages and Plans. Create backup and restore plans for your user computers, manage cloud storage packages to set storage limits
Start One Click Restore to Amazon EC2. You can restore the customer’s Windows Server as an Amazon EC2 instance. To access this feature, click the Gear icon next to a managed computer, then select Restore to EC2:
Remote Access Tools
Starting from Management Console 4.6.4, a Managed Remote Desktop is introduced. This is an efficient remote management tool integrated into Managed Backup.
Alternatively, the Remote Access in Managed Backup allows you to use time-proven Windows Desktop Sharing API and remote assistance features. You can use these Windows features separately, but it requires you to instruct the user to generate a support request and send it by email. With Remote Access, it is easier to initiate the process using the Management Console.
MSP360 Remote Access tool communicates with the Backup Agent to generate an appropriate remote assistance profile, so you need to update the customer Agent instance first. It is easier to accomplish using the Remote Deploy tool in the Management Console. You will also need to instruct the user to enable the Remote Desktop connection on a server with MBS installed.
Using the Remote Access Feature
- Open the Management Console.
- In the RMM menu, select Remote Management.
- In the computer list, find the computer you need to connect to.
- Click the Settings icon, then select Connect.
- Select the desired remote connection mode.