This chapter covers the following topics:
On-Demand Files in OneDrive
OneDrive Files On-Demand helps you access all your cloud storage in OneDrive without having to download all of them and use file storage space on your Windows device.
Once Files On-Demand option is enabled, you see all such on-demand files in a file manager. Once your PC is connected to the Internet, you can use the files like every other file on your device.
On-Demand File Backup
Managed Backup supports On-Demand file backup in Management Console and Backup Agent. Consider, all OneDrive files intended to be backed up will be downloaded to your computer and then will be backed up to the selected backup storage.
How It Works
By default, the backing up of OneDrive files is disabled (the Do not back up On-Demand files option is enabled). This means, these files will be excluded from backup.
If you need to back up the OneDrive files, disable the Do not back up On-Demand files option in the backup plan wizard. All OneDrive files will be downloaded locally and then backed up to the backup storage.
While downloading On-Demand files from the OneDrive cloud, a maximum downloading period is set for each file to be downloaded. These downloading periods are calculated separately for each file: a period is calculated as a ratio of file size to 10 Mbps speed. For example, a downloading period for a file of a 200 MB size is approximately 2 minutes.
If a file is not downloaded within the calculated period, a Download timeout error occurs
If the VSS snapshot mechanism is used (On-Demand files are processed as regular files, so the file is taken from the OneDrive folder and is uploaded to backup storage. On-Demand files are not included in a VSS snapshot
Enable/Disable On-Demand File Backup
In Management Console
To configure the On-Demand file backup settings in file backup plans using Management Console, proceed as follows:
- Open the Management Console.
- In the Computers menu, select Remote Management.
- Find the required computer, then click the gear icon.
- Select Show Plans.
- Find the required plan on the side pane, expand it and click Edit.
- Click the Advanced Filter step.
- Disable or enable the Do Not Back Up On-Demand Files check box.
- Once you are done, click Save.
In Backup Agent
To configure the On-Demand file backup settings in file backup plans in Backup Agent, proceed as follows:
- Access the required computer and open the Backup Agent.
- Edit the required file backup plan.
- Follow the backup wizard to the Advanced Filter step.
- Disable or enable the Do not back up On-Demand files check box.
- Finish the backup wizard to save the configuration.