Restore to EC2 in Backup Agent
Aside from the Management Console, you can also restore image-based backups to as EC2 VM instances via Backup Agent for Windows.
Note that you must have the Restore to EC2 feature enabled in Management Console. This feature is enabled by request. To send a request, proceed as follows:
- Open the Management Console.
- In the Settings menu, select Global Agent Options.
- Find the Restore to EC2 / Azure VM option group, then click Send Request.
Restore to EC2
- On the main toolbar, click Restore to EC2.
- In the "Type of Data" step of the Wizard, select the Restore Image-Based Backup option.
- Then select the Restore as Amazon EC2 Instance option.
You may want to use the Create AMI (Amazon Machine Image) option. The Create AMI option allows you to create an Amazon machine image (based on your image backup configuration) in addition to a restored EC2 instance. The restored EC2 instance will be run automatically and it will have a public IP address. The created Amazon machine image can be used for setting up other EC2 instances in the future. You can find Amazon machine images on the IMAGES section of the AWS EC2 Management Console
Note: With the Create AMI option you can restore Desktop OS
Without Create AMI option, you will have a restored EC2 instance but there will be no image on Amazon. For the restored EC2 instance you will have to configure a public IP address (Elastic IP) manually in the AWS EC2 Management Console.
- The next step is to specifying Target EC2 Instance details:
5.Choose whether to use a temporary instance.
If yes, then specify the details.
Select Account - choose the Amazon S3 account where you want to create an EC2 instance. This list contains Amazon S3 accounts that are specified in the MBS control panel (Storage Accounts tab).
Use temporary EC2 instance - this option allows you to run a restore job directly on Amazon S3. It sets up a temporary EC2 instance (Windows Server 2012). The temporary EC2 instance will be terminated when the restoration completes.
Target EC2 instance details:
- Region - select a region where to restore an EC2 instance. We recommend using the same region where you store your image backup.
- Start instance after restore - this option allows starting an EC2 instance right after the restore (available if you don't use Create AMI option).
- Instance type - select instance type for the EC2 instance. For a list of instance types, see Instance Families and Types.
- Subnet - specify a subnet that you want to launch the instance into.
- Security group - specify a security group to assign to the Amazon EC2 instance.
- Complete the rest of the Restore Wizard steps to create and customize your restore plan.
Finally, you can find the restored server in Amazon EC2 Management Console: