Backup Prefix Explained
The backup prefix is the backup data identifier in a bucket of backup storage. Backup prefixes are used to isolate backup data uploaded from different instances within one bucket.
By default, the backup prefix name is named after the computer name specified in the system settings of the machine the Backup Agent is installed on.
It is recommended to use the default name to avoid possible confusion. You can also create the custom backup prefix if you have multiple instances with the same names in your environment.
In case you restore your backups to another computer, use Bootable USB / ISO file created on another computer, or have several custom backup prefixes, it is possible that the backup prefixes differ
Before you create a restore plan using the Backup Agent, make sure the storage account used to create backups is properly configured. To do this, proceed as follows:
- In Online Backup Agent application on the local computer:
- In the application menu, select Edit Storage Account, then select the necessary storage account.
- Сlick Advanced Settings, then select one of the following modes:
- Regular mode: back up and restore. This mode is used for both operations: backup and restore ones.
Note that if you change the prefix name, you will be able to view the backup data stored in the directory of the bucket with the name specified in the Backup prefix field. If you specify the new prefix name, the new directory with this name will be created in your bucket. All backup plans associated with this storage account start using this backup prefix to keep back up data.
Refer to Troubleshooting: Type of Data chapter in case you cannot find the necessary backed-up data
- Restore Only. This mode is used for restore purposes only. All backup prefixes are available for restore in this mode
Note that this mode restricts backing up to this storage account
- In Management Console
- You can check what backup prefix is currently set for the storage account as described in Switch Backup Prefix article.