For details on how to manage users in Management Console refer to Manage Domain Users. This chapter is intended for Microsoft 365 Backup administrators and covers the following topics:
- Add Users
- Manage Users and Groups
To add new users/groups (Microsoft 365 Groups) to Microsoft 365 / Google Workspace Backup, open the dashboard, and on Users in Actions menu select Sync domain. Users will be added automatically.
Manage Users and Groups
To manage users/groups of your domains or separate users, included in Microsoft 365 / Google Workspace Backup, select Users in horizontal menu bar of the dashboard.
All users/groups are listed in the . Headers are active grid elements which allow you to sort lists according to specified criteria. You can select multiple users or user groups to configure backup for them.
The grid contains the following data:
User/Email. User displayed names and email addresses
Last Backup. Date and time of last backup
Backup Size. User backups size on storage
Backup License. Backup license status for user. The following statuses are available:
- Assigned. This status means that the license is assigned to the user and is active. This status is painted green
- Not available. This status means that license is either deleted or expired. To learn more about licenses, refer to the Licensing chapter
- Inactive. This status means that backup service is switched off for current user and license is not used.
Retention Policy. This status specifies whether the default or custom retention policy is used.
User Groups filter can be used to select:
- users outside any group (Not in Groups),
- users included in specific Microsoft 365 group, distribution list, or mail enabled security group
- all users (All Users). This option clears the filter.
User / Domain filter can be used to select:
- All - all users. This option clears the filter
- Users in Domain - all users included in backed up domain
- Users Not in Domain - all users with configured backup that resides outside backed up domain
- Blocked/suspended Users - all users with sign-in blocked or suspended status
The following statuses can be used to filter data:
- All - all users. This option clears the filter
- Backup On - all users WITH configured backup
- Backup Off - all users WITHOUT configured backup
- Non-Domain with Backup - all users with configured backup that resides outside backed up domain
- Blocked/suspended - all users with sign-in blocked or suspended status
Also, you can use search to filter the users by search expression. Type the search expression in the Enter Search Request box and click the search icon.
Users grid contains a set of controls which can be used to manage settings. Learn grid icons and their meaning.
|Mail backup settings for selected user|
|OneDrive backup settings for selected user|
|Contacts backup settings for selected user|
|Calendar backup settings for selected user|
Configure Backup Options for Selected User
To configure backup options for one user, select this user in the grid, then click Configure Backup to configure backup services for this user in the pane to the right.
Depending on Auto-activate new users settings, added new users can be enabled or disabled in the grid. To configure the backup for the disabled user turn off the disable state for this user in the pane to the right, then enable backup for the following Microsoft 365 services: Mail, Drive, Contacts, and Calendar. Once you are done, click Save.
Configure Backup Options for Multiple Users or Groups
To configure backup options for multiple users or groups, select required users/groups in the grid, then click Configure Backup to configure backup services for these users in the pane to the right. You can use filters above the grid to simplify the user search process. select required users/groups in the grid, then click Configure Backup to configure backup services for these users in the pane to the right. You can use filters above the grid to simplify the user search process.
To disable multiple users or groups, select required users/groups in the grid, then click Configure Backup and turn off enabled status for these users/groups (main selector). All backup services will be disabled for these users/groups. Microsoft 365 / Google Workspace licenses will be reseased for these users.
To resume backup services for the disabled users, turn off the disabled status for these users (main selector), then enable backup for desired backup services. Microsoft 365 / Google Workspace licenses will be assigned again for these users, if available.
Once you are done, click Save.
Configure User Permissions
To configure user permissions for one user, select the required user, then click Permissions. In the pane to the right select the user permissions and an alternate account required to validate some operations, e.g., deleting the user's backup content.
The following permissions are available:
- Sign In. Enable this option to allow users (except for global Microsoft 365 administrator which is granted with this permission by default) to sign in to console and view their settings
- Restore. Enable this option to allow selected users to restore data from the backup content.
Also you can enable and configure alternate account for selected user. Once you are done, click Save. To configure permissions for multiple users, select required users to apply permission configuration to them, then click Permissions. Use right pane select user permissions and set an alternate account for these users. Once you are done, click Save.
To configure assignment of retention policies created according to Retention Policy chapter, select the required user(s) and click Retention Policy.
In the pane to the right, select the existing retention policy for selected user(s) as described in Retention Policy chapter.
Export to PST
To export copies of messages, calendar events, and other items for selected user to PST (personal storage table) file, select the required user(s) and click Export To PST. Export task will be created. You can monitor this task in Task Manager. After the task is complete, you will be notified by email. Notification will contain a link to the backup storage folder with exported PST file. You can download exported PST file using this link. Alternatively, you can download exported PST file from the Reporting > Export Results.
Refer to Export to PST chapter for details.
Export to CSV
To export users data to CSV (comma-separated values) file, select the required user(s), then click Actions menu and select Export To CSV. The Users.csv file will be exported to your Downloads folder.
Delete Administrative Account
To delete administrative account:
- Open Dashboard.
- In account meny click My Account.
- Click Delete Account on the bottom of side panel.
- Confirm account deletion by clicking Delete. All data related to the domain users / user backups will be cleared, but user backups will not be deleted from the backup storage
Delete Backup Content
To delete backup content for one or multiple users, select the required user(s), then click Delete Backup.
- In the right pane, select Microsoft 365 services to be deleted from backup contents.
- Specify the alternate email address. Deletion operations require setting up an alternate email address.
- Click Delete. The backup content will be deleted from backup storage
Note that data deletion is not available without providing an alternate email password