Retention Policy in G Suite Backup
A data retention policy is an agreement on retaining data for operational or regulatory compliance needs.
A data retention policy appears as a part of an overall data management and plays a significant role since the definition of the terms of keeping a company's data is crucial. Data retention on longer periods than needed produces unnecessary storage usage and increases storage costs.
If user data is modified or deleted during the retention period, a copy of the original content can be always found in the backup storage.
Objects in backup storage which retention period has expired, are deleted automatically, according to a retention policy settings, so this keeps the backup storage size under control. The duration of data retention policy can be ranged from days to years.
Assign Retention Policy
Assign New Retention Policy
- Sign in G Suite Backup as an administrator.
- Open the Users page, then select users the retention policy to be assigned to.
- Click Retention Policy.
- Select the existing retention policy or click Create.
- Specify the name for the new retention policy and the service the policy will be applied to.
- Specify the retention policy parameters.
- Delete Older Than. There are two options to retain your files. The first way is to delete all files that were modified or created before the specified date (day, week, month, and year periods are available).
Consider the following example. Let’s assume that your company requires to store all revised financial documents created less than three months ago. In this case, to ensure data is in the backup storage, select 3 months value for the Delete older than option. With this value selected, backup data will be automatically deleted from the backup storage
The second way is to delete all files that had been backed up before the specified date (day, week, month, and year periods are available).
- Purge Delay. This option is an additional safety lock for your backup strategy. With this option enabled, the purging process is delayed for a specified period.
Once you are done with the retention policy parameters, click OK.
- Click Save. The new retention policy is assigned to selected users.