This chapter covers the following topics:
- Getting Started with SharePoint Backup
- Back up SharePoint
- Restore SharePoint
- Delete SharePoint Backup Content
- Add New Sites to Backup Automatically
To back up SharePoint document libraries as well as Teams files stored in SharePoint, make sure you have a valid SharePoint/Teams/Shared Drives license. A SharePoint/Teams/Shared Drives license covers all SharePoint sites, including Microsoft Teams files for a tenant.
To learn more about licensing, refer to the Licensing
Getting Started with SharePoint Backup
By default, SharePoint backup service is turned off for the added domain. To turn on the SharePoint backup service for the domain and assign a trial or commercial SharePoint/Teams/Shared Drives license, on M365/Google > Destinations, Licenses, and Domains select the domain to edit the domain properties. In the Edit Domain dialog turn on the SharePoint/Teams/Shared Drives. Trial SharePoint/Teams/Shared Drives license will be assigned to this domain. Now you can enable SharePoint backup.
To enable SharePoint backup, click Configure Backup on the dashboard, then turn on SharePoint backup service.
To create the initial backup, click Save. The backup task is created and will be scheduled automatically. You can monitor the backup task processing using the Task Manager. Once the initial backup is completed, you can view backed up contents. Consider that storage limit for trial SharePoint/Teams/SharedDrives license is limited by 100 GB. You should purchase a commercial license to use more storage space.
Back up SharePoint
To view backed up SharePoint document libraries and Teams files stored in SharePoint, or to run an urgent backup, select SharePoint in the horizontal menu bar. By default, SharePoint backups run automatically up to two times a day.
To start the urgent backup for all or for selected items, select all or specific items to backup , then click Backup now. You will be notified about the backup job creating event.
Use search to quickly find required site or team files to backup. Type search expression and click search icon to proceed.
You can monitor the backup task processing using the Task Manager.
Restore SharePoint and Team Files
To restore a single item from SharePoint Document Library or Teams files located in teams'documents, select SharePoint in the horizontal menu bar.
- Browse the content to select an item to restore. You can find a necessary object by name or part of the name. Type the search expression and click the search icon. After the search is complete, click the target icon to quickly navigate to the object location.
- Click the item and select restore action above the grid. The following restore locations are available:
- If you want selected objects to be restored to the original location, select Restore
- If you want selected objects to be restored to Restore folder, select Restore to 'Restore' Folder. This restores SharePoint data back to SharePoint to the same SharePoint site and library to Restore folder.
- Select a restore option. The following options are available:
- Latest version. Select this option if you want to restore the latest version of your SharePoint sites or objects
- Point in time. Select this option to specify date and time for the object version to be restored
You can monitor the restore task processing using the Task Manager.
Also you can download selected file revision to your Downloads folder. To download required item, browse the backup content, then click the particular item to view its revision list. Revisions appear to the right. Click the required item revision to download it to the Downloads folder.
- After the download is complete, item appears in your Downloads folder
Delete SharePoint Backup Content or Team Files
To delete SharePoint content item from backup, select SharePoint in the horizontal menu bar.
- Select SharePoint content item to delete. You can find a necessary item by name or part of the name. Type the search expression and click the search icon. After the search is complete, click the object to quickly navigate to the object location.
- Click the object and click Delete above the grid.
- Enter alternate email password to confirm the deletion.
Add New Sites to Backup Automatically
You can add all new sites to backup automatically. To enable this feature turn on the Automatically add new sites to backup slider.